Smoked teXga Meat Loaf:
-2 lbs. of teXga Farms 80/20 ground beef
- 1 Vidalia onion diced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2/3 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 2/3 cup of bread crumbs
- 3 TBS of your favorite BBQ rub
- 1 TBS of kosher salt
- 1.5 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp of granulated garlic
Assembling the Meatloaf:
- Add all of the ingredients above into a large mixing bowl and work the ground beef until everything is well incorporated.
- Then shape the resulting mixture into a loaf
- At this point, we like to add a little extra salt, pepper and favorite BBQ seasoning to the exterior of the meatloaf
Cooking the Meatloaf:
- Temperature control and having a digital instant read thermometer is key here, to ensure even cooking from end to of the meatloaf you want to cook low and slow if at all possible. We recommend shooting for approximately 250°F on your Big Green Egg with a place setter or Weber charcoal grill using an indirect cooking method.
- When the internal temperature of your meatloaf is approximately 145° F (after approximately 90 minutes) we recommend using a brush to apply a thin layer of BBQ sauce over the exterior instead of the traditional ketchup. Adding the glaze during this step allows time for it to firm up on the top and sides of meatloaf.
- Your final target temperature should be approximately 160°F internal temperature which should take approximately 2 hours at 250°F. Note that the more times you open your cooker, the longer it will take. Remember: If you're lookin' you're not cookin'!
A few tips and tricks:
- We recommend using a cooling/baking rack so you can easily move the meatloaf off the grill on to a baking sheet to move inside and slice!