PLEASE NOTE : We are now taking deposits for January-June 2024 Pricing: $5.25/lbs. hanging weight
Questions: Please do not hesitate to call/text the farm phone at 706.949.6148 or contact us!
If you're interested in stocking your freezer with 6-12 months worth of beef (or of course you can split it up amongst friends and family) ordering a half or whole cows processed to your specifications can represent a great value. All of our steers are butchered at a family owned USDA inspected processing facilities that we work with located in Forsyth, Ga. (a little over an hour drive southeast of Atlanta on I-75). The price of a half cow or whole cow is based on the hanging weight (it's ok if you're unfamiliar with this term, we're happy to explain it!).
Our target live weight per animal is 1300 lbs. for harvest date. Typically this yields a hanging weight/carcass of 750 lbs. for a whole or 375lbs for a half and the price is $5.25/lbs. hanging weight. The pricing of $5.25/lb hanging weight is inclusive of all processing costs, dry aging, packaging and fresh freezing. A 750 lbs. carcass should yield you approximately 400 lbs. - 450 lbs. of take home product (If purchasing a whole) depending on how you choose to have your animal butchered or as we say "broken down". If you purchase a half then you should have approximately 200 lbs. - 225 lbs. of take home product. For example, if you choose bone in ribeyes, Porterhouses, bone in chuck roast and bone in shoulder roast, your take home weight will climb much higher although you'll still be getting the same amount of beef (just more bone).
An additional benefit to ordering a half/whole and selecting how your animal is broken down is that you can also get soup bones to make your own beef stock as well as some of the more creative cuts such as liver, heart, tongue and oxtail. These cuts are collectively referred to as the offal and with some creativity and proper preparation they can make a great meal!
The easiest way to look at the value proposition of buying a half/whole is that you'll end up saving approximately 25% versus buying that same quantity of beef from us in our smaller bundles throughout the year. To hold your animal we require a $500 non-refundable deposit and then once the hanging weight is verified by the processor the balance would be due before beef is picked up. This deposit will be applied to your final balance.
The quick steps to securing your half or whole beef are as follows:
- We answer any and all questions you have about the process. Please give us a call (706)949.6148 or send us an email. We're happy to be of help!
- Customer pays a deposit to guarantee your animal. This $500 deposit is applied to the final balance upon beef pick up.
- We work together to fill out your cut sheet which is how we communicate with our processor how you'd like the steer broken down.
- Hanging weight of your animal is verified by processor and balance of payment is due.
- Fresh frozen sealed beef is available for you to pick up directly from our processor or from us here at teXga ($100 delivery fee to Clarkesville from Forsyth). *Note: Vacuum sealed = 2 year shelf life
How much freezer space should I reserve for my beef? 30 lbs. of beef = 1 cubic foot of freezer space.